Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Microwave Cooking


The one thing, I hated most was Microwave Oven. I know people using it and most of them say that, they use it for re-heat or make coffee ...basically for simple chores. I used to think, why someone should invest Rs 10K for this purpose.

Time came for me to experiment with it, due the handle that broke in my pressure cooker, which I got it & surviving during my initial days of my onsite trip.

With my initial experiments, its outcome was pretty bad with Microwave Oven.

However with the days going by and understands how it works, I can say that I have perfected the approach and can cook some of the daily need or variety of Indian recipe with ease which uses less oil.

Remember Microware Oven is used for less oil or no oil. But still you can use a max of 4 to 5 table spoons. Most of the dish recipe use this much only.

If you need to fry something like onion, chicken or potato …you need to still use the pan with required amount of oil. Never try those in Microwave Oven.

This way of cooking is healthier as it contains less oil but still the taste remains the same.

What are the things that I have tried till now?



  1. Normal Rice
  2. Roti / Chapathi
  3. All types of Pongal
  4. All types of Briyani
Why I recommend Microwave Oven…



  1. Same taste as you get it in Pressure Cooker
  2. Fewer vessels mean less work & less cleaning.
  3. No need to wait & watch. Set the time and based on the signal, you know what needs to be done next, if needed.
  4. Healthier, as it uses less oil or ghee.
  5. Hygienic & Less space
  6. Running cost compared to Gas is less or same. Microwave Ovens usually come with 1000 watts to 1500 watts. 1000 w will consume 1 unit per hour if used, translates to Rs 6 per day / Rs 180 a month.
What are the vessels that are required?

Typically when you buy a microwave oven, manufacturers bundle free offer of microwave cookware in India. Usually they will be fiber make. My recommendation is glassware for preparing rice items.

Why Glassware?

It handles the pressures due to its weight and cooks evenly similar to pressure cooker.

What type of Glassware?

Get any glassware that has a proper fitting lid. Sample picture below,





Next time, I will write down on how to prepare rice, so that you can give it a try and give its feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment